• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

LoiteringClouds

LoiteringClouds

Tempus fugit
Feb 7, 2023
Today I repaired my electric fan.
Note: this is a niche subject, as usual, but I hope my musing will be somewhat amusing...
Disclaimer: do at your own risk if you try to repair your home appliances - it might cause fire. I don't leave appliances I've repaired turned on.

Today it was hot so I tried to use my 10-year-old electric fan.

Before fixing
But the switches on it refused to stay pressed when I press one of them and then release my finger. So I decided it was time to fix it.

Bottom opened
Remove a bottom cover.

Sw module opened
Detach and open a switch module. There was three metal plates inside it, and they were supposed to slide but they were stuck together with grease.

Plates
I wiped the grease between plates and the switches started to work again.

Restore everything in the original place and...

Fixed
Lives again, my electric fan!!

It was easy, quick and free - definitely not a brain surgery.
Note: plastics degrade over years and you might break them when you deal with decade-old plastic parts.

But the real reason why this give me a dopamine rush is that this is my tiny rebellion against consumerist society - people might say, "Don't waste your time on repairing $15 electric fan - buy new one" but I don't care - I've wasted my entire life, so I have nothing to lose.

I don't feel sympathy for objects, but if somebody called this fan junk, I'd think I'm in the similar position - I'm 36 and a bit old on this forum, partially incapacitated due to bipolar II and my lifestyle is too simple to attract attention.

Thank you so much for reading 🙏

Don't be afraid, my electric fan,
It's not time to go to the landfill.
I'll defend you, I guess it's God's plan.
There's a way to stay where there's a will.

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 0
Jiyuurakka

Jiyuurakka

Discontinued Existence
Mar 22, 2024
I loved reading this, thank you for sharing your work process with us. I also find immense value in doing these sorts of little things, it's very pleasant and peaceful.

soulkitty

soulkitty

ᵐᵉᵒʷ ᵐᵉᵒʷ ᵐᵉᵒʷ
Apr 6, 2024
Really cool!! Why spend $15 when you can do a simple fix like you said! :) I find that to be a lot of fun. When I fix things like that I feel like an engineer even if it's super simple 😂 thank you for sharing the process, it was really satisfying to see ❤️

LoiteringClouds

LoiteringClouds

Tempus fugit
Feb 7, 2023
I loved reading this, thank you for sharing your work process with us. I also find immense value in doing these sorts of little things, it's very pleasant and peaceful.

Really cool!! Why spend $15 when you can do a simple fix like you said! :) I find that to be a lot of fun. When I fix things like that I feel like an engineer even if it's super simple 😂 thank you for sharing the process, it was really satisfying to see ❤️
Thank you for your reply! It was therapeutic to experience a small victory over consumerism.

Household appliances and consumer electronics are getting more and more complicated, but I don't need an AI-powered smart fan which tells me what's the best for me. (And it might become my pro-life buddy which report me to the authorities if I uttered "I want to die."😂)