• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Assisted suicide is granted for you where you live. Do you tell your loved ones?

• Yes

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Some of them (mostly family)

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Some of them (mostly friends)

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
As a hypothetical scenario: Assisted suicide is granted for you where you live. Do you tell your loved ones you plan to use the service? Why or why not?

I think ideally, it's better for them to know and be prepared and have some time to try and come to terms with the decision but, I wonder just how many people would let their loved ones know. I guess there's every chance they would try to stop it.

Not that it's likely ever to happen for the majority of us. Or, if it does, it will likely only be granted after things are unbearably bad enough to everyone else's satisfaction.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm genuinely unsure of what I'd do. If there is a way to do it without telling anyone I guess I'd try to do my CTB prep plans which already involve not telling anyone but I'm sure people I know will have heard of the plan and be on high alert.

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
No? I don't think it would make a difference for them of accepting my suicide whether I do it by myself or if a professional is helping me do it. But then again by the time where MAiD is accessible, the peoples perception towards it would have improved and suicide maybe a little openly discussed subject so giving a few subtle hints here and there could potentially help them and it may not so much of a shock when it happens...

leloyon

leloyon

Sick Of It All
Feb 4, 2023
No. They would probably try to stop me.
Telling anyone who is in a position where they could stop you is foolish, whether you've got a doctor to help you or not. That's why the only people who know I have any active plans to commit suicide are online friends who can't do anything about it.

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
No, I actually want to be dead peacefully so why would I do anything that would sabotage me? If assisted suicide appears, I will take it at the first opportunity. I'm only alive right now because the current available suicide methods are risky for me. I will not let my family stop me from taking the peace that I rightfully deserve

willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
If I knew I could tell them without them panicking and doing anything in their power to get me into the hospital or change my mind, I would absolutely tell them. Part of what kills me the most about CTB is that I can't prepare those I care about. I would love to be able to give them forewarning and time to process their grief, as well as the opportunity for me to get closure. Maybe they could even be there with me while I die.

Realistically, they would not take well to it. They love me too much, they would not have it in them to willingly let me go. It would make my last days even more distressing as they would be in serious distress, which would make my last days conflicting and even more painful. I don't think telling them would help them process it, I think it would make it worse.

O

Orange Cat

Student
Oct 19, 2023
I don't think that I would tell anyone. If asssited suicide was legal for everyone, I don't see very much difference than it is now as far as telling your family. I don't think that most peoples families would take the news any better just because the government tells them that it's legal.

It would be too stressful for everyone if they didn't agree with my decision. They might feel guilty that they weren't able to talk me out of it if I told them.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep